Monday, June 21, 2010

Master Bedroom Makeover Revealed

You've been waiting a long time for my master bedroom to be revealed. It took sometime to get the project finished, but the big delay was in getting photos. We've had dark or rainy days for what seems like forever! I've become inpatient to share the room with you, so please bear with me if the photos are a little dark, remember there is only one small window in the room.
Here are some of the before photos to remind you what we started with.
The room had been an office for my husband and wanting a bedroom that all our bedroom furniture would fit into we did a flip of rooms. You can read more about it
here.

Forest green paint on bottom half of the room with a lighter green on the top half.





The room was very dark and dreary and measures 9 1/2' x 20' making it

difficult to arrange the furniture.

I didn't like the lined up furniture before.


Here's the work in progress...



....adding board and batten.

You can read the DIY board and batten here.



Painting...

...one coat of primer and two coats of

...Valspar Snowblow White ~ semi gloss finish

... Valspar Seascape (CI 187) paint ~ satin finish.



New Drop Cloth Curtains that I made were added next...


you can read about how I made them here.


Bamboo blinds were added for some additional texture to the room.



Moving the furniture...
(We thought we couldn't put the bed on this wall because the nightstand and king size bed wouldn't fit in the narrow 9 1/2' space, but my husband came up with an idea to build new nightstands to fit the space).


Here's the bed in its new position.

My husband and I made the headboard.








The opposite side of the room.

See my Goodwill lamp sitting on the nightstand
along with my thrifty sand dollar artwork.


Finishing touches...



Photos we've taken were hung as artwork above the bed
along with spray painted Goodwill reading lamps.



A photo of my husband and myself at the beach

(a new 8 x 10 will replace the 5 x 7 after our vacation at the beach this summer)

framed by a large thrift store frame.

The shelf I already had and I added a candle and sign purchased @ TJ Maxx.

I made the hanging ornaments from shells and starfish, along with my Knockoff Pottery Barn mason jar candle.


This sign purchased at TJ Maxx was added on the opposite wall .



Candle light was added to the dresser using blue mason jars.






The Ikea mirrors I made over and ...

...Jewelry hanger I did a makeover.



A vintage step ladder for a side table.



My husband is going to make side tables,
but I've had so many of you telling me to keep the ladder so for now it's staying.

My vintage alarm clock purchased at a garage sale.



I added a new quilt at the end of the bed that I found @ Goodwill for $14.98 (don't worry I did wash it) and new tan pillows I sewed. The blue pillow was purchased @ TJMaxx along with new white pillow covers.

15 years ago my husband lovingly hand made all the furniture in this room with the exception of the headboard.

We made the headboard together 3 years ago when we upgraded from a queen bed to a king. I'll tell you how we made it in a future post.

This basket is used for our laundry and a framed photo I took of flip flops will sit on a nightstand.

We're loving our new made over room.
What do you think of the room?
Joy


I'm linking this post to...
Tools are for Women too Modern Craftswoman Monday
Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphasis Monday
Todays Creative Blog Get Your Craft on Tuesday
A Silly Little Sparrow Toot Your Own Horn
Bobbypinsboardwalk ~The Boardwalk Bragfest
Organize and Decorate Everything ~ We're Organized Wednesday
Bargain Shopping Paradise ~ Bargain Brag Wednesday
Someday Craft ~ Whatever goes Wednesday
The Shabby Chic Cottage ~ Transformation Thursday
Fingerprints on the Fridge ~Feature Yourself Friday
Just a girl ~ Show and Share day
The Shabby Nest ~ Frugal Friday
Kellys Korner
Show Us Your House
Thrifty Decor Chick












giveaways
ASPTLFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special

56 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love all the beach accessories and the wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very lovely!!!! It's absolutely gorgeous!

    BTW - did you know old-fashioned wind-up alarm clocks are pretty much a thing of the past? I've been looking for a couple of months now, w/o any success!

    Congrats on your beautiful retreat!

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call a major transformation. It looks absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful!!! Wow, I love it. Love that color and the board and batten. Awesome transformation! I have a question...when you did the board and batten, do you have textured walls? I still need to go to your post on how you did it. I really want to do it in our room too but am scared of the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with LeAnn...a beautiful transformation
    indeed!!! You gave me alot of ideas love what you and your husband did!!!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - GREAT redo! Your room looks absolutely awesome now. I'm your newest follower!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment about my headboard project! Comments make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow just beautiful!!
    Over from Metamorphosis Monday
    Just redid my master also!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job your DH and you did, Joy. I love the paint color on your bedroom walls. I also love your step-ladder nightstand...that's thinking outside the box. Visiting from Met Monday~

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such an awesome job! It looks like a beachy hotel room - i would pay to sleep there. I love the step ladder nightstand - i can take it off your hands if your tired of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful transformation with so many truely thought out personal touches. Thanks for showing it to us on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks absolutely wonderful and refreshing. love your beachy vibe and color combo. fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really pretty! I love your quilt! I have seen quilts at our thrift store, but they are much more expensive than that! It looks like a Pottery Barn Quilt!

    I wonder how your alarm clock would look, painted to match your lmps above the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a peaceful calm room, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very fresh , new and nice!
    I like it!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW JOY -- you have outdone yourself on this room. It is so beautiful. You must feel like a queen when you are in this room. It's like a bed and breakfast. I love that you used laminate flooring for below the chair rail -- how creative...and I've been looking for a step-ladder ever since I originally saw yours. I love all you unique pieces in this room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Joy! You did an amazing job...you and the Preacher are both very talented! Love the colors you choose and all the little touches you added around the room to make it feel so cozy. My favorite thing in the room is the photo of the flip flops in the sand placed in the basket...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THe whole rom is so beautiful and relaxing. Of course, I love the organized jewelry the most. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful transformation! Just beautiful, restful~ great colors! Inspires me with great ideas~ love the little step ladder side table! Great project~thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You guys did a fantastic job in creating a warm, inviting bedroom. My favourite picture it the one of the headboard with the 3 photos above it - they are the perfect size and just add the right detail. I don't think I'd worry too much about night stands either, as I bet you can't see them that much anyway. I love all your special touches around the room - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything turned out SOOO good! I love your new room! We have oak trim too -- so I'm glad to have seen someone else paint it like we want to. Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How beautiful! Those colors are so calming. You have so many great little touches - love the step ladder and the blue mason jar candles on the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I Love this makeover. I came here to see your where artist create and was taken by the work done to create this new room! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Beautiful Job! I love the blue mason jars, the bedside step ladder and the beach sign from TJ Maxx... thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your bedroom looks fabulous. I love the transformation and all of the detail that has gone into it. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your "new" room. The wall treatment, the colors and all your light and bright assessories have me sigh-ing and filled with bedroom envy. Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your room is beautiful! I grew up in parsonages and my rooms were never as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning transformation! I just LOVE your ladder night stand...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Wooooow!!! I think I might be at a loss for words (NEVER happens to me either) for what to even say here....it is BEAUTIFUL. You did such an amazing job! There is absolutely no trace of the "before" left. I love the pictures, the lamps, and especially the little ball jars full of sand and tea lights. Every little detail is perfect.

    Kudos to you!

    I found you over at Frugal Friday and 100% happy I did. I really enjoyed reading at this post. It most certainly inspired me.

    Love and blessings to you!
    <3 Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's so pretty! You did an amazing job and I love all the little touches.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really like the colors you picked. So fresh and relaxing!!! Nice job!! Visitng you from The Shabby Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely! It looks so much lighter and bigger with your new color scheme! Just beautiful!

    Visiting from the Shabby Nest

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful transformation! Loved every photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks SO much better! Love all of the beachy touches.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love your bedroom makeover! This is very inspiring. It has a such a calming feeling to it. Great work! ~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! What a great job. Such a soothing bedroom. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very pretty. We just finished our master bedroom too. We used some similar colors. I love how calming it is.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an awesome makeover!!!! I love your new wall color, and I am a big fan of bamboo blinds. All of your accessories tie everything together. I also love the beside ladder table. ;) Maybe you could have something different on the other side? You did a great job! I'm visiting from Sarah's Before and After Party (my post is from yesterday). :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, wow, wow! It looks amazing, great job and selection on the colors. New follower!

    -Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just beautiful! You guys did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So inspiring to see what can be done on a budget! I just had to share:
    http://www.momsbyheart.net/2010/07/momspiration-mondays_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your room makeover is beautiful! I love how pulled together everything is. Nice wall color. Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your choice of color...I also like the mason/candle jar idea...might use that one :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous! I want a bedroom like yours. Love all the little details. I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I do love your bedroom! Thanks for stopping in and looking at mine. You have given me some ideas of some little details I'd like to add to ours :) aw a room is never finished. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Makes me want to go to the beach...RIGHT now! Love it! It's so relaxing and peaceful looking. You did an AWESOME job!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your room is beautiful. I love blue and white, and a beachy feel and you have done it so well. I think it is wonderful that you have furniture made by your husband. I love the aqua mason jars too (I also collect them.)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Terrific transformation! It's just amazing. I love all the coastal touches.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm loving your transformation! The space planning and finishes are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow your room jumped from the 1980's to the 21st century. I love all the details you created in your room with your ocean theme.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your bedroom makeover is gorgeous! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the mason jar candles...what a great DIY version! I want to do the same thing with apothecary jars. We also live in a parsonage, but the church sold it to a couple of professors that sold it to us (I'm a lawyer and my husband is a software engineer). It's very cool to see how different churches build their clergy's homes though! My blog on our DIY/thrifty decorating is www.themodernparsonage.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a bee-yoo-tee-ful space!
    Cozy.
    Charming.
    Relaxing.
    Blessed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails