Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bathroom Makeover Revealed - Bead Board Wallpaper

I'm finally back and able to blog after being gone. It has taken me a bit to recover from vacation, a cold and going out on pastoral calls with my husband.

You may recall back in October in this post, how I had two rooms in the makeover process. It's taken me quite some time to get these rooms finished.

This bathroom has had problems since the day we moved into the home. I'm constantly fighting mildew on the walls and ceiling. When the old ceiling fan died, the church building committee decided to put in a new bigger fan. I thought the problem would be gone, but no such luck! Since this room is so small and no windows for ventilation, it continues to get mildew on the walls and ceiling. I've been washing, priming and painting them every 6 months. Having used up the last of the beige paint. I decided to go with a darker richer wall color with an anti-mold additive in it. I hope it will work!!!

Here are a few before photos....




If you read my post back in October you'll recall my mishap with paint the paint color. I did end up having to buy a new gallon but got the color I wanted.

I love bead board , but since we live in a parsonage and don't own the home, I decided to go with something less permanent and costs efficient.... paint-able bead board wallpaper! You can purchase it at your local hardware store. I found mine at Lowe's.

Here are a few photos of the work in progress....


(note old towel holder...dark and ugly).

...adding the new blue paint to the top 1/3 of the walls.





... the bead board wallpaper was added next.


... trim and thrift store Ikea mirrors were painted white.



.... my husband added the trim board between the paint and wallpaper.



...the bead board wallpaper was painted white, and the Ikea mirrors hung,
adding depth and light to the room.


... the oak wood surround the mirror was painted white,
giving it a fresh and new look.

... the shelf is hung with fresh "new" (use what you have) accessories and towels.
Garage sale baskets add texture and height to the shelf, along with some bath salts in a thrift store jar.
The blue vase was a keep sake from my grandmother,
while the starfish was a souvenir from one of our coastal vacations.



... accessories added to the counter include a .50 cent soap dispenser
and a wire basket from Goodwill to hold the toilet tissue.
The basket reminds me of these baskets from Pottery Barn.

...I've had these apothecary jars for years and are a great way to store bathroom items.
... they remind me a little of these Pottery Barn jars, but at a fraction of the cost. ( using what you have).

The "new" towel bar was purchased for .49 cents at my local thrift store.
Doesn't it look much better than the old wooden one? Much cleaner and not so dark!!!

Some of you may be afraid that adding a dark color could make the room look too dark and gloomy. I have found just the opposite by adding a dark rich color along with a bright white made the room look very bright and cheery.

What do you think?

I'm linking this post to.....

Photobucket

Thrifty Decor Chic


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating



10 comments:

  1. I love this! I painted my kids bathroom last year and I am getting ready to put up the bead board after seeing such cute bathrooms with it. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks wonderful! I have used that beadboard wallpaper in many areas and just love it!! You bathroom looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out reall nice, love the dark with the white, love the towel holder too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wallpaper looks great! I was wanting to do something similar to my son's room! May I ask how much the wallpaper was? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast of the white beadboard wallpaper against the darker walls. You definitely improved this room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It looks so fresh! I adore the beadboard wallpaper! Just wish I didn't live in an apartment....oh...one...day I'll have a house to redo! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great difference, Joy!!! The new color really pops, and I bet it's b/c of that gorgeous beadboard. Your accessories are great too! Job well done. :) Thanks so much for joining my party! Hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks lovely, joy! i love the beadboard and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the makeover upshot! You certainly did a great job in making it simple yet charming. Anyway, this post is from two years ago. I’d be delighted to know if there are any new updates on your bathroom. :)

    - Randell Jeffries

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails