Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY METALLIC BAY LEAF TREE

I hope you had a great thanksgiving weekend.   I've been greatly blessed once again over this past year. I'm also thankful for the wonderful day we could spend with our children and grandchildren.

It's hard to believe that thanksgiving is past and Christmas is right around the corner.  While browsing through the Pottery Barn catalog recently, I came across their beautiful Metallic Bay Leaf Christmas Trees.  They have these trees available in gold and silver.  I was really drawn to the silver tree since I plan to decorate with a winter wonderland theme this year.  The trees are $89 to $99 dollars each.  All the silver trees were sold out, but since I'm a real DIY gal, I decided to try and make one my self.




Here's what I did to make my own.


~ The things you will need ~

-Bay leaves
- Cardboard cone
- Glue ( I used a hot glue gun)
- Sliver Spray Paint

I started out by laying the bay leaves on a piece of cardboard.  I then took my can of  silver spray paint and painted them, along with the cardboard cone.



Once the paint had dried,  I arranged the leaves largest to smallest.  I then began gluing the leaves to the cardboard cone using a hot glue gun.


I continued to glue the leaves working around the cone and then upward.


My bay leaves were old leaves and very dry, so they didn't curl outward like the Pottery Barn tree.  Despite this I was still happy with the end result.  The total cost for this DIY project was only $2.50 because I shopped the house and used what I had.  The cardboard cone is the only thing I had to buy from Micheal's.


I placed it on my thrift store silver tray next to my DIY faux mercury glass tree  and the fifty cent distressed mirrored  tree that I made over a few years ago.

I decided it would be fun to do something a little different this year.   I grouped the trees all together and made a vignette for display on my cedar chest.  I'll share that with you in my next post.



I'm being featured at Knock Off Decor!

I'm linking this post to -

At the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday 
The Best Christmas DIY and Crafts at Nesting Place
Shabby Creek Cottage
Organize and Decorate Everything linky party #77
 Home Stories A2Z
Home Stories A2Z
DIY Show Off

5 comments:

  1. I love it! You are a genius DIYer!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgous and at the right price!
    Blessings,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I saw these in the Pottery Barn catalog yesterday and was thinking how to re-create these for much less $$! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your silver bay leaf tree! Pretty, pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite variation so far on the "winter tree" theme! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails