Thursday, March 3, 2011

Simple Pillows Anyone Can Make

I created some pillows last evening that are so simple
even the beginner sewer can make one.  

While shopping at a thrifty store recently,
I found a Laura Ashely English Country Print fabric remnant
for .50 cents.
  I've been making pillows for my living room; and when I saw this remnant, I knew immediately that it would work great to make a pocket slipcover.

Here's how I made them ... using what I had and my .50 cent remnant. 

I started out with an old down pillow from my storage room...


...and removed the old pillow covering.


1) Measured the pillow to determine how much fabric I'd need.


Pillow dimensions:

Width = 16 inches 
Length = 16 inches

Fabric dimensions:
Width: 16 inches
Length: 16 X 2 = 32 + 4 inches = 36 inches



I then cut the fabric to the needed measurements.



2. Took the fabric and folded it over each end 1/2 inch...




...and ironed it.




3. Sewed the ironed piece down using a straight stitch.


4. Removed the fabric from sewing machine and
folded the fabric right sides together...

making sure to overlap 
what will be the backside of my pillow by 3 1/2 inches.
(This will make your pocket.)




5. I then pinned it together.  Using a 1/2 inch seam 
allowance, I sewed the sides together
trimming the seam corners with a scissors.


6. Turned the pillow right side out.
( Use your scissors as a tool to get the fabric stuffed into the corners well.)
Pressed it well with a steam iron.


7. And finally, stuffed my pillow into my newly form pocket.




Easy Peasy... I created a Pocket Pillow Cover!
This took me only 10 minutes to create!


I was having so much fun, I decided to recover another old pillow 
using fabric leftover from my drop cloth curtains and Pottery Barn Inspired Pillow.


( I got my inspiration for this pillow form a blog I'd seen some months ago....sorry to say I can't remember which blog.)






Here it is before adding the covered buttons.






In this close up shot you can see the drop cloth fabric on the left. I left the raw edged on the ruffle to add a little texture.




Covered buttons up close.

Before...


After




Joy

I'm linking this post to... 

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesday Treasures 
Just a Girl


giveawaysVisit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

  1. Very nice!!! The "after" looks very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted this pillow tutorial...I just got my first sewing machine and have been wanting to make pillows but was a little unsure.
    Your pillows are darling!
    -emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pillow tutorial is so helpful and fun! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that nice comment! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, seriously adorable pillows! I need to lean to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute. I found some fabric that I want to use for pillows, but definitely fall into the beginner sewer category. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a find for 50 cents!

    Your pillows are so cute. I've been making pillows using dropcloth material too, it's my very favorite material lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to try this! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails