Monday, October 1, 2012

THE CLOSET MAKEOVER HAS BEGUN

Hi everyone, I hope you had a great weekend.  Last week I told you of my plans to make over my office closet.   Well, the work has begun.


 Let's start off by taking a look at this crowed, cluttered closet.


In an attempt to add book storage a few years ago, a small shelf was added.


As you can see in the photo, the shelf above the basket runs only 1/4 of the way across the closet and virtually inaccessible unless you get a ladder and stick your head around the corner into the space. There were a few things that got placed on these selves but never used for anything that needed accessing.  This room, along with the rest of the house, suffered from the roof leaking for 12 years before a tree fall on the roof making yet another major leak.   I knew the office had water damage on the ceiling, but didn't realize what we would find when we tore into the closet. (We are thankful that the church had the roof replaced and no more leaks.)
 This is what we found.
Gross mold Out came my rubber gloves, mask and a bucket of hot bleach water, and the cleaning began. The tape in the corners of the closet was letting loose as well.  I tore this off and my handy husband re-taped the dry wall.  At the same time, he made the door opening larger to fit a standard 4 foot bi-fold door.  Any of you who have done dry wall taping know the process of mudding, sanding, more mudding, sanding and loads of DUST!





This project is turning out to be more work than what I had anticipated, but the end results keeps me moving forward.  In the mean time this is what our living room looks like with all the office and closet stuff !


 Someone from the church stopped by Friday evening and asked if we were moving!  Who would guess a small room could have so much stuff!  My goal for this fall and winter is to purge our home, and get more organized.

2 comments:

  1. O no about the mold! Good thing you decided to remodel so you found that. And sometimes having projects like this are the best even if just to simply go through all of the stuff you have there! Crazy how quickly stuff accumulates, right?! We had only been married a year before we moved into a house and packing up our apartment was crazy!! I'm excited to see how your project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always told me that it has to get worse before it gets better (when organizing, that is!). It looks like you're on your way to a beautiful organized new space. I can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails