Wednesday, February 5, 2014


Can you believe it's a year ago today, we were on the road moving from Washington to our new home in Minnesota. Time sure flies by quickly.  Looking back over the year, I realized that I have not shown you all of the rooms in the new Parsonage.  Over the next weeks I plan to do just that, along with showing you the projects completed in each room.

Today, I will start with our guest bedroom which is in the basement of our home.

Now this room looked nothing like the photo posted above.  In fact the room looked pretty tough.  All the carpets had been ripped out of the room a few years ago because of water getting into the basement.  At the time of the water issue, they had to rip up all the carpets in the entire basement and lay tile.
The room also had mildew issues.  The building committee from church had washed down the walls before we moved in, but mildew stains remain on the walls.   Let's take a peek at what this room looked like and what I've done to transform the room.

It had drooping curtains, and an old roll up shade,

a sun painted on the ceiling, flowers painted above the mildew stained baseboards.  

The first thing I did, was to wash all the walls and trim with bleach water.  After the walls dried completely, it was time to move onto the painting.  We first primed the walls with primer that had an anti mildew formula added to it.  Once the primer was dry it was time to move onto painting.  The building committee painted my husbands office before our arrival.  What they did for the paint in this room, was to mix several left over paints together.  My husband and I really like the color of his office, and since there was quite a bit left over, we decided to use it for the guest bedroom.

The floors in the bedroom looked really bad since there was no carpet on them.  I wanted to do something to make them look better.  The building committee was not sure about having us put down carpet in this room, in the event water would come in again.

I decided I had to do something to improve them, and decided to paint them using floor paint.

Painting the floors was a big improvement, they are now fresh, clean and bright.

The woodwork also had to be repainted and you may recall my disaster painting them.  If you missed that post you can read about it at - painting, painting,  and more painting.

To decorate this room, I used things that I already had, such as the comforter, wall shelf, lamp, bedside table and bench.

The bed had no head board, so this was a diy project my husband I did together.

I also sewed new pillows for the room,
 along with a new blind ....

.... and curtains.

Then came the fun part of adding the finishing touches.  I hung up a wall shelf I already had.  Of course it needed something on the self, so I went to my box of frames and pulled out two white frames.  I then went to my photo archive and found some tulip photos we had taken in Skagit County, Washington.  I used PicMonkey photo editing and made the photos black and white.  I then added color to only the tulip.  I love how it adds just a little color to the room.  Creating my own art work cost me only four cents per photo.  It shows how you don't have to spend a lot of money to add artwork to a room.

The white vase was from the free box at the second had store and the cute little owl was bought at our local fabric store at 60% off - $3.98.

I add my Ikea mirrors on the wall next to the window, after a fresh coat of white paint.  On the floor below the mirrors, I added some white branches to an urn I already had.  I found the branches at Goodwill for two dollars.  I think my husband thought I was crazy to buy branches, but spray paint for tree branches would cost more than that.  After I had them displayed my husband could now understand why I wanted them and thought they actually looked nice.  I also bought two throw rugs to put on the floor to add a little warmth and texture.

Here's the view from the door.

The bench at the end of the bed was a birthday gift from my mother-in-law years ago.  This is how the bench looked before I painted it.

Here's the after ~

A view of the room, on the door side.  This photo was taken before the floor was finished and the crib set up.  In this little nook, I created an area where the crib will set.  On the shelves I did a Peter Rabbit theme for our grandchildren, using books I already had along with a plate and stuffed animal.

I also added new knobs to the doors.

To add the finishing touch to the window, I set some vintage alarm clocks on the seal.

Let's take one more look at the before and after.

So what do you think?
This room was transformed by using what I had, some paint and fabric, making it a very budget friendly makeover!!!

I will share in more depth how I made the headboard, curtains and blinds in my next few posts.  So come back and see how they were made.


  1. It looks great. You guys did a fantastic job.

  2. Love the redo, your guest room looks fabulous. Great fabrics and the shade, pillows and drapes are wonderful. Hugs, Marty

  3. It looks so nice, fresh and clean. Plus I love how you used what you already have, the pictures are just lovely! Wonderful job!

  4. It's beautiful! What a great transformation, and such a nice relaxing place of retreat for guests. An amazing transformation on a teeny tiny budget!



Related Posts with Thumbnails