Monday, December 23, 2013

DIY CHRISTMAS CARD DISPLAY

I created a new display for our Christmas cards this year. You may have seen it in my 2013 Christmas Home Tour.  A few years ago, I used a made over shutter to display my cards. It worked out great for that year, but we've been receiving more cards this year and I needed something larger to display our cards on.

Here's what I came up with.




This board may look a little familiar to those of you who have been reading this blog for some time.  You may recall that it started out looking like this.


Quite ugly with its orange felt, but it was the correct size and it was free from our local thrift store.

It's seen one makeover already, I did a transformation and used it to hang our daughters wedding photos on.  If you missed the post on the transformation you can see it here.


After our move this past February, it wasn't being used because we chose to hang up 8 x 10 photos of the weddings instead.

It suffered few dings with the move, so the first thing I did was to give it a fresh coat of black paint.


When we lived in Washington, my local scrapbook store would hold a garage sale once or twice a year.  It was at that garage sale, that I found a vinyl Merry Christmas.  Take note of the original price $ 11.99 and my garage sale price $1.00 !




I followed the instructions for mounting the letters, and applied them to the top of the frame.

I still needed a way to hang the cards.  Once again I went to my craft supplies and found some jute string.  

I began by stringing the jute every four inches.  I tied them on the back side of the frame and then used thumb tacks to hold the string in place.



I also had purchased a bag of small snowflakes at the same garage sale for twenty five cents.



Now all I needed was a few small clothes pins.  I used a 40 % off coupon to purchase them at Hobby Lobby.


To create my little snowflake pins, I just hot glued the snow flakes to the end of the pin using a hot glue gun.  To prevent burns to my fingers, I used a pliers to hold them while gluing.


Now they were ready to pin up my Christmas cards with.


I think the little snowflake pins turned out pretty cute, and go along with my winter wonderland theme.

So what do you think of my makeover?


One of the best things is it cost me less than three dollars to create. Not bad for a large Christmas card display board!

1 comment:

  1. I especially like the snowflake clothespins. Great repurposing project!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails