Thursday, August 16, 2012

BATHROOM MAKEOVER & PAINTING PLASTIC WALLS

Back in April of 2010, when I first started this blog. I shared my bathroom makeover for under $500. I actually think it was done for quite a bit less, but we did the makeover shortly before I started this blog. I didn't write down the exact amounts we spent on finishing the room.



Rita from Harbour Breeze Home recently asked me a question regarding this makeover.  She is planning a bathroom makeover also.  As you can see in the photo below, her bathroom is same floor plan as ours.  Even the retro light fixture is the same fixture we had before our makeover.


 While looking back at the post I realized I hadn't shown you somethings I did in this room.

 
See the area directly above the shower stall. It used to be a solid wall of beige plastic with a seam about 18 inches from the ceiling.   I came up with a thrifty fast solution to get rid of the wall of beige plastic.

PAINT

Here's what  I did ~

First I scrubbed the wall very well. I then  ruffed the surface a bit using sandpaper.  The next thing to do was add a coat of primer.  After the primer was completely dry, I just painted it with latex paint.  My husband then added crown molding that he made using salvaged lumber.

We use the shower in this bathroom and I wondered how it would hold up.  It's been on the wall for four years and still looks like the day I painted it.


At the time of the remodel we also added a curved curtain rod.  It's a little trick you can do to add more space to a small shower area.  My thrifty finds ~ 99 cent Goodwill rings and a 50 cent garage sale shower curtain help hide the remainder of the ugly beige shower surround. 


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails